Darling Babies Home history in brief
In 1927, the Church of England Diocesan Mission to the Streets and Lanes' Children's Home in Wilson Street, Brighton was over capacity and unsuitable for babies and infants. So the Mission established a new babies’ home at Darling Road, Malvern (near the Darling railway station).
The Darling Babies Home had around 30 babies at a time. A new complex was added in 1951 and in 1954 a new building opened, known as the Church of England Home for Little Children.
Despite modern facilities, the updated Darling Babies Home only operated for around 13 more years. By 1967, Darling Babies Home was being used as a temporary refuge for unmarried mothers, deserted wives and their children. It was sold in 1967.
Warning about distressing information
This guide contains information that some people may find distressing. If you experienced abuse as a child or young person in an institution mentioned in this guide, it may be a difficult reading experience. Guides may also contain references to previous views, policies and practices that are regrettable and do not reflect the current views, policies or practices of the department or the State of Victoria. If you find this content distressing, please consult with a support person either from the Department of Health and Human Services or another agency.
Please note that the content of this administrative history is provided for general information only and does not purport to be comprehensive. The department does not guarantee the accuracy of this administrative history. For more information on the history of child welfare in Australia, see .
- Guide to out-of-home care services 1940–2000: volume one – agency descriptions, compiled by James Jenkinson Consulting, North Melbourne, November 2001.
List of records held by the department
For information relating to the central management of care leavers and wards of state, please consult the guide to Central department wardship and out-of-home care records. These collections date back to the 1860s and include ward registers, index cards and ward files.
Voluntary children’s homes files (c.1930-c.1985)
File; Permanent VPRS 18069 / P0002
Content: The files record interaction between the various voluntary homes and the government.
This filing system was created in 1975, combining earlier correspondence and other records to create one system with VH prefixes.
The specific file(s) relating to this home are dated 1952–67 and include:
- inspectors’ reports, 1952, 1954–63
- summary list of state wards – infant life protection children, and staffing, 1950–67
- complaints and other correspondence, c.1950s–66
Reviewed 10 August 2016